Thursday, June 19, 2014

Greenstyle Lacy Tank review

This pattern has been on my Wishlist for a LONG time. Somehow it was one of the very first PDF patterns that I came across for women. I fell in love with the high low hem, the hood, the thumb sleeves, all of it.  I haven't had great luck sewing for myself in the past - I always end up with a beautiful garment that just doesn't fit 100% right. I know this is because I need to do adjustments (FBA, round back, etc) and I just don't know how. That's part of what help me off from buying this pattern for forever.  There was finally a sale on Memorial Day and I jumped on it!

Pattern Name:  Lacy Slope (hooded tee or tank)
Designer:  Greenstyle Creations

Pattern Description:  As part of our Bespoke Collection, this trendy and comfortable Hooded T-Shirt is built off of our wildly popular Lacy Slope Tank Top. If you already have the Lacy Slope Tank Top you can just purchase the Add-On Pack. However, if you purchase this pattern, you will get both the Lacy Slope Tank Top and the Lacy Slope Hooded T-Shirt! It is two patterns in one easy package.   Features - high-low hem in three lengths, breast patch pocket, and extra long sleeve options

Pattern Sizing:  Women's XS - 3XL

Pattern cost:  $8.50

Size Made: Medium

Model's Measurements: height-5' 9", chest-38" (D cup), waist-31", hips-39"

Did it look like the photo/drawing advertised once you were done sewing with it?  yes, but the models in the photos are very slender and it doesn't quite look comparable on me.  After adjustments, it may look better, but it doesn't hang the same way on my body (big boobies problems)

Dealing with the pattern:  Unless you want to print out your instructions as well, scroll through the pattern and make note of which pages need to be printed - the pattern is sandwiched inbetween the hooded tee and tank instructions. 

Level of difficulty:  Moderately easy, however there are some parts (binding the neckline) that would put this in the intermediate category. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?  For the most part...yes.  I did find it slightly odd that the instructions for the Hooded tee and the tank were completely separated by the pattern itself.  The directions for binding the neck and arm openings are lacking in the pattern but they have a video posted on their website that helps clear that up. If you are familiar with knit bindings, you may not even noticed that the instructions are lacking. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I like the options. It can go from summer to winter all day long. Make it fun, make it classy, I'm sure that tank in the right material could even be used in a business casual wardrobe.  I really like that there are hem length options. I chose the intermediate length hem - can't imagine using the original though!!  It would have been above the top of my pants!!  Note: I have a long torso so that may not be the case for everyone. And I think the back of the intermediate is a little long for my taste. 

Fabric Used:  white/bronze/grey leopard print jersey from Joann's. It's thin enough that I need a tank underneath at all times. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  none this go 'round. However after posting pics on their Facebook page asking for sizing help, a few of the ladies suggested I do the full bust adjustment for knits by Maria Denmark.   Here is the link that was recommended and I will give it a go soon!!  http://blog.mariadenmark.com/?p=1046

Would you sew it again?  Yes!  Even with my fit issues, I am dying to so another tank version. When I get the fit better, I'll be making hooded tees left and right - I live in hoodies during the fall and winter. 

 Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, with the note below attached :-)

Conclusion:   Great style, great pattern, but don't jump into your most gorgeous fabric right away. Make a wearable muslin....  Wait, aren't we supposed to do that every time??  Haha!!!

Notes for next time:  Full bust adjustment for knits; intermediate length hem in front graded to standard length hem in the back; try a different binding technique on the neck/arm openings; get the fit right and start making the back blocked with lace; get the fit right and makes lots and lots of hooded tees!



No comments:

Post a Comment